MATCH REPORT: Halifax 1 Accrington Stanley 2

Last updated : 04 January 2005 By Kev Robinson
The Stanley Ultras did the club proud
Halifax Town went into the match with the chance to go up into third place in the Conference but unpredictable Accrington Stanley were too strong for them as they came back from behind to take all three points live on Sky Sports.

Stanley brought a good following and the fans were in great form as they showed the television viewers how passionate they are. Stanley supporters group Stanley Ultras organised a breathtaking display of streamers and now that they have taken full control of away travel the players will be hoping to see more displays like this to spur them into the playoffs.

Dean Howell was in magnificent form for the Shaymen but that cannot be said for strikre Neil Ross as he wasted the numerous chances that Howell provided him with but Howell came close to opening the scoring himself as Paul Crichton saved brilliantly and then had another save a minute later as Adam Quinn's shot flew straight into the former Burnley 'keeper's arms.

Accrington were second best for the forst half an hour but they werte beginning to improve and keep the ball in the opposition half but on 37 minutes meanasing winger Dean Howell put the home team in the lead as his shot was spilled by Crichton and that left Howell the simple task of back-heeling the ball into the net.

The players celebrate
Jagielka last week hit his first goal for Stanley and two minutes before half time at they Shay he hit his second with a beauty of a shot that flew past the goalkeeper and flew into the back of the net off the post to level the scores at half time as the teams went in for the team talks with a goal each.

The second half was Stanley dominated but Crichton did have to tip Danny Ingram's headed shot sover the crossbar and that was all that he had to do really until the last few minutes.

The winner came for Accrington Stanley after 51 minutes. Rory Prendergast, whose set-pieces had troubled all afternoon, swong in a free kick which was flicked on for Ged Brannan to head home to send the Stanley fans wild.

The last few minutes were nerve-racking at the home team piled on the pressure but John Coleman's men held out for a 2-1 victory, and it was certainly deserved.