Wrexham 1 Accrington Stanley 3

Last updated : 01 January 2007 By Footymad Previewer
David Brown got Accrington's New Year off to a great start with a late double that notched their first away win since October.

Wrexham had the better of early play and missed a couple of chances before Paul Mullin put the visitors ahead against the run of play. Steve Evans back from a four-match suspension headed Shaun Whalley's cross against the bar and with Mullin and Brown waiting to tap in on the line, Mullin was first to react and give Stanley the lead.

At the other end Matt Crowell and Matty Done had shots blocked from a cross into the box by the hard working Chris Llewellyn. A free-kick from Crowell cleared the crossbar and Llewellyn shot wide after Done knocked down in the box to put him clear.

Wrexham drew level just on half time when a long punt up-field from 'keeper Mike Ingham bounced awkwardly for Leam Richardson, allowing Josh Johnson to get in and chip over stand-in keeper Rob Elliot.

It was back luck on the young stopper who otherwise had an excellent game.

Wrexham made a substitution for the second half bringing on Lee McEvilly for the young Marc Williams and suddenly the side gained confidence which began to show with Accrington coming under pressure.

McEvilly, though not fully match fit enjoyed turning out against his former club but when he managed to net, the effort was ruled out for a foul.

Whalley lofted a free-kick over the Wrexham crossbar and when Mullin rounded Ingham, as the 'keeper came out to clear from another Accrington raid, Lee Roche got back to clear.

The next shot from Mullin went wide.

McEvilly's disallowed goal came after Mike Welch and Elliot collided leaving the striker clear as he back-heeled the ball over the line, only to be disappointed by referee Mike Dean.

Ingham saved from David Brown in a one-on-one situation but Brown gained revenge with time running out, chipping over the keeper after a mistake by Evans.

And when Andy Proctor was brought down by Roche while going for a cross from Mullin, Accrington were awarded the penalty. Todd's spot-kick was saved but Brown followed up to turn the rebound home.