Wycombe Wanderers 1 Accrington Stanley 1

Last updated : 20 January 2007 By Footymad Previewer
Jay Harris chose the perfect time for his first football league goal as he rescued a point for Stanley. Kevin Betsy had given Wycombe a deserved lead in the second half, but Harris hit back for Stanley.

Wycombe missed a host of chances and could have taken a commanding lead before Accrington revitalised in the last 25 minutes could have even won it.

It was a frustrating first half for the home side, who had most of the ball but couldn't find the back of the net.

Wycombe nearly got off to the perfect start when Scott Golbourne's cross-come shot was pushed towards the goal by a gust of wind, with 'keeper Rob Elliot just re-adjusting to palm it over.

Accrington hit back though and created a clear chance of their own on 18 minutes.
Romuald Boco slid in Shaun Walley who cut inside Mike Williamson and thundered a shot past Ricardo only for Russell Martin to clear off the line.

That was the only chance they had and Wycombe went on to squander a series of chances.

Ikechi Anya had a goal bound looking shot blocked by the head of Phil Edwards and then Easter forced Elliot in to a magnificent save on 27 minutes. He controlled sharply on the edge of the box and turned and shot a curling effort into the top right corner, Rob Elliot just doing enough to tip it wide.

Betsy minutes later flicked through for Tommy Doherty whose shot was just deflected over by Robbie Williams before Easter should have given Wycombe the lead on the stroke of half-time.

He collected a Chris Palmer shot and battled past Williams but somehow blasted over from 5 yards.

Wycombe started the second half in the same way and almost made a break-through when Kevin Betsy raced clear only to be bought down by Michael Welch just outside the box. The referee deemed he wasn't the last man and escaped with a yellow. The resulting Palmer shot was well saved.

They finally made the break through on the 58th minute. Betsy fed in Chris Palmer who one-on-one with Elliot shot straight at him, the rebound fell kindly for Betsy though who headed into an empty net.

Betsy should have doubled his tally straight after, a slip from Edwards put him through on goal with all the time in the world but he took an age to decide what to do and was tackled well by Todd.
The miss was costly as Accrington scored an equalizer on 63 minutes. The ball fell to Jay Harris after Wycombe failed to clear Paul Mullin's cross and he smashed home from all of five yards.

The goal revitalised Stanley and they had a good period of pressure which resulted in a chance for Phil Edwards, but his header from a Whalley corner just went wide.

That was the last decent chance as the teams battled till the end for a crucial winner without reward